David Hume draws on his 37 years as a leader driving technology, engineering and innovation programs. As a former Senior Director at Motorola, David identified, assessed, selected and incubated disruptive innovation opportunities that crossed Motorola businesses or utilized Corporate Labs technology, and he developed a broad base of knowledge about the challenges companies face when renewing themselves within existing or alternative organizational structures.
As a 14-year member of the Industrial Research Institute (IRI), David has addressed how to manage growth and innovation, working with colleagues from multiple industries. He has also provided expertise to start-up companies and currently serves on the board of advisors for a start-up.
David’s combined expertise provides multiple perspectives to clients who want to establish a sustainable capability for corporate strategy, growth and innovation processes, incubation and execution of new opportunity projects, and portfolio and risk management. He also works with clients to develop corporate strategy, analyze and plan growth initiatives, assess implications of new technology for threats and opportunities, and add innovation processes and capabilities to support growth initiatives.
At Motorola, David held positions of increasing responsibility in product development, manufacturing engineering, quality assurance, system development and deployment, revenue service business strategy, and technology acquisition, and in an internal incubator for Motorola’s Corporate Technology organization. He was a founding member of several significant new market and product initiatives, including the introduction of telephony and data over Cable TV infrastructure, and he worked with leading experts in the innovation field to introduce and improve Motorola’s breakthrough innovation capability. David has a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Washington University and lives in the Chicago area.
- General Business Strategy
- Corporate Growth Strategy and New Business Design
- Technology and Product Development and Commercialization
- Open Innovation in Corporate Venture Capital, Incubation, Partnering and Licensing
- Operations and Quality Excellence
Articles and Perspectives
- “Strategies and Tactics for External Venturing” co-author, RTM Journal, May 2005
- “Managing Uncertainty in Front End Projects” IRI Innovation Leaders Network
- “What the Innovation Revolution Could Learn from the Quality Revolution” IRI Innovation Leaders Network